|During the eighties so many hard rock & heavy metal
bands were getting the exposure they deserved, watching their albums
climb up the charts touring around the world and putting on a show
fans would never forget. One of those bands was Cinderella, a band
that is still rocking out around the world today. I caught up with
Cinderella drummer Fred Coury for a brief chat earlier this week to
talk about the ‘Rock Never Stops’ tour that ‘Cinderella’
are currently doing with ‘Ratt’, ‘Quiet Riot’
and ‘Firehouse’. We also spoke about the possibilities
of a new album or live DVD and drumming among other things. I hope
you all enjoy it!
Cameron Edney - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/INSIDE_OUT666
1. Hey Fred thanks so much for taking out time from your busy touring
schedule to speak with us.
Fred Coury: You're welcome.
2. How have the shows been so far?
Fred Coury: Amazing. We've been having a blast!
3. Now Cinderella is currently touring with Ratt, Quiet Riot &
Firehouse as part of the ‘Rock Never Stops’ festival.
That is a killer line-up, how did the tour come about?
Fred Coury: The Promoters put it together
4. Is there any chance that this tour will make its way to Australia?
Fred Coury: I would hope so but I doubt it. Although there
is talk of it.
5. Is there any funny story’s that you can share with us that
may have happened so far on this tour?
Fred Coury: We're waiting for the good ones!
6. I have been inspired by many different drummers over the years
(Eric Carr, Tommy Lee, Charlie Benante and yourself among others)
growing up who inspired you to pick up the sticks?
Fred Coury: Neil Peart and peter criss were the first 2.
Then Bobby Blotzer, Tommy Lee, and Tommy Aldridge.
7. What was the 1st drum kit you owned?
Fred Coury: A pearl kit that my Mom bought me if I would
play an extra hour of violin per day. BRIBE!
8. Do you do anything specific to warm up & prepare for a show?
Fred Coury: I stretch my hands and arms, Get a little cardio
sweat going and a cup of coffee, a prayer and I'm ready.
9. Using only five words: How would you describe your drumming?
Fred Coury: Musical, Solid, sparse, Good, Bad.
10. I believe long before you picked up the sticks you were playing
the violin? How did you come to make such a big change? I mean both
instruments are so different!
Fred Coury: During orchestra, I joined a jazz band as a trumpet
player. The drummer couldn't figure out a part and I knew I could
do it. I had never played drums at that time but knew I could play
the part so, at a break in rehearsal, I sat down and did it. I eventually
became the drummer for the jazz band!
11. Can we expect to see a new Cinderella album after this tour?
Fred Coury: Still in Legal hell.
12. Do you guys have any plans to release a DVD of live footage from
the current tour?
Fred Coury: We hope so.
13. I’d want to ask you a couple of things about life on the
road! Is it just as crazy now as it was in the eighties?
Fred Coury: Now we KNOW how to have fun.
14. What is the most ridiculous thing you have ever asked for on a
Fred Coury: A Ferrari.
15. What was your first experience of playing outside the USA like?
Fred Coury: England. I had already been there so it felt
16. Over the years you have shared the stage with so many great bands.
Who have you enjoyed touring with the most & why?
Fred Coury: Bon Jovi. They were very good to us.
17. After all these years onstage what is it that keeps you going?
Fred Coury: God.
18. There has been so many highlights in your career, what would you
say have been your greatest achievements to date?
Fred Coury: Still being in a touring band after 19 years.
19. Of all the albums you have played on in the past, which is your
favourite to listen to?
Fred Coury: "Arcade II".
20. Which record/song would define Fred Coury to a complete stranger?
Fred Coury: "Arcade".
21. It has come to my attention that more than 2200 rock/metal fans
worldwide have united and signed a petition. Artists such as Judas
priest, Barry Sparks, Motley Crue & yourself to name a few are
among those in favour of a Vh1 Metal Mania Channel with no “nu-metal”
to be played. Many fans & artists believe that VH1 & MTV will
never approve this, not because of ratings, but because of the genre
of music which would be featured. Can you share your thoughts on the
Fred Coury: Who cares, music is music. Open the doors for
the new artists!
22. What do you think about the direction Heavy Metal music has taken
over the last few years?
Fred Coury: It's still big guitar rock.
23. What advice would you give to up and coming rock/metal bands?
Fred Coury: Play from the heart. The easiest thing you ever
did was get a deal. Now it becomes tough!
24. Are you currently listening to any of the newer bands? If so who?
Fred Coury: Yellow Card, Blink, Green Day (not so new), Green
Day's new record is a masterpiece.
25. If you could put a band together consisting of musicians passed
and/or present who would they be and what would you call the band?
Fred Coury: Lane staley, Zakk Wylde, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Nikki
Sixx and ME! - Can't think of a name, we don't even have any songs
26. Well Fred thanks so much once again for your time, it’s
a true please to ask you these questions. Do you have any last words
for our readers?
Fred Coury: Put pressure on the promoters over there and
tell them to bring us over! We’ve always wanted to go there!
To keep up with all the latest news, tour dates and much more go to
the following websites:
- Dedicated to 40 years of pure hard rock & metal music.
http://www.petitiononline.com/01131995/petition.html - Rock/metal fans & artists unite! Sign the petition &
help us take back the airways!
Cinderella are currently touring as part of “Rock Never Stops”
with Ratt, Firehouse and Quiet Riot. You can catch them at the following
Please note all dates are subject to change.
Sun 07/03/05 El Paso, TX Downtown Street Fest
Mon 07/04/05 Mercedes, TX Mercedes Showgrounds
Wed 07/06/05 Lake Buena Vista, FL House of Blues
Thu 07/07/05 Pompano Beach, FL Pompano Beach Amphitheatre
Fri 07/08/05 Tampa, FL St. Pete Times Forum
Sat 07/09/05 Savannah, GA Red Gate Farms
Sun 07/10/05 Myrtle Beach, SC House of Blues
Tue 07/12/05 Canton, OH Civic Centre
Thu 07/14/05 Sioux Falls, SD Sioux Falls Arena
Fri 07/15/05 Cadott, WI Rock Fest
Sat 07/16/05 Walker, MN Moondance Jam
Sun 07/17/05 Beloit, WI Beloit Riverfest
Wed 07/20/05 Salisbury, MD Wicomico Co. Civic Ctr.
Thu 07/21/05 Uncasville, CT Mohegan Sun Casino
Fri 07/22/05 Wilkes-Barre, PA Wachovia Arena
Sat 07/23/05 Augusta, ME Augusta Civic Center
Sun 07/24/05 Big Flats, NY Summer Stage @Tags
Thu 07/28/05 Hampton Beach, NH Hampton Beach Casino Ballroom
Fri 07/29/05 Atlantic City, NJ Trump Taj Mahal
Sat 07/30/05 Reading, PA Sovereign Center
Sun 07/31/05 Westbury, NY North Fork Theatre @ Westbury
Tue 08/02/05 Erie, PA Erie Civic Center
Wed 08/03/05 Toronto, ON The Docks
Thu 08/04/05 Kalamazoo, MI Wings Stadium
Fri 08/05/05 Saginaw, MI The Dow Event Center
Sat 08/06/05 Sterling Heights, MI Jerome Duncan Ford Theatre
Sun 08/07/05 Kings Island, OH Timberwolf Amphitheatre
Wed 08/10/05 Albany, NY Palace Theatre
Thu 08/11/05 Buffalo, NY Shea’s Perf. Arts Ctr.
Fri 08/12/05 Chicago, IL Northerly Island Amphitheater
Sat 08/13/05 West Allis, WI Wisconsin State Fair
Fri 08/19/05 Beaumont, TX Fair Park
Sat 08/20/05 San Juan, PR Coliseo de Puerto Rico
Used with permission by Cameron Edney © July 2005